- Explora is not open to the public, per the Governor’s public health order.
- Phase One re-opening of Explora began with the return of Explora Summer Camps. Virtual camps began May 26, and in-person summer camps began on June 15. Both run through August 7. To register please visit: https://www.explora.us/en/educational-programs/camps/
- There is no date for Phase Two: re-opening for general admission, per the Governor’s public health order. Visit our social media channels for updates and continued STEAM programming: Facebook, Instagram, & Twitter.
- Explora no está abierto al público, según la orden de salud pública de la Gobernadora.
- La reapertura de la Fase Uno de Explora comenzó con el regreso de los Campamentos de Verano Explora. Los campamentos virtuales comenzaron el 26 de Mayo, y los campamentos de verano en persona comenzaron el 15 de Junio. Ambos se extenderán hasta el 7 de Agosto. Para registrarse, visite: https://www.explora.us/en/educational-programs/camps/
- En este momento, no hay fecha para la Fase Dos: reapertura para admisión general, según la orden de salud pública de la Gobernadora. Visite nuestros canales de redes sociales para actualizaciones y programación continua de STEAM: Facebook, Instagram y Twitter.
Enliven your job of learning and teaching, and build new skills to use in your classroom.
Get Creative Ideas to Implement in Your Classroom!
Get fresh ideas for teaching strategies and activities! Explora’s two-hour workshops immerse participants in thought-provoking science-rich experiences that equip educators with resources and ideas. These workshops embrace an inquiry approach to learning, involve participants in fun, active exploration of physical materials, and foster 21st Century Skills: critical thinking, cooperative learning, creativity, communication, and innovation. Workshops also can be customized to meet your staff’s needs.
Learn simple and fun activities to develop coding skills in you and your students. This workshop is designed for all skill levels – no previous coding experience required. Participants will learn how to incorporate physical computing into their classrooms using micro:bit microcontrollers. Participants will leave with a kit with a micro:bit and accessories.
Upcoming date at Explora: Saturday, January 11, 2020, 9am–12pm
Art with a Spark!
Can a painting light up an LED? Can a sculpture power up a motor? Create a painting , build a sculpture, weave a pattern or sew a design that functions as simple circuitry in this hands-on art and science workshop.
Upcoming date at Explora: Tuesday, February 25, 2020, 1–4pm
Upcoming Professional Development Workshops
Capture that natural curiosity about rocks and turn it into a deeper experience of discovery! We’ll use microscopes and magnifying loupes to examine a variety of rocks. Discover the main types of rocks, model the rock cycle, and perform a series of tests to unearth a mystery mineral. Create your own rock prints and examine crystals.
Upcoming date in Las Cruces: Saturday, March 21, 2020, 12:30–3pm
Combining colors can yield surprising results. What happens when you mix pigments? What happens when you mix colored light? Learn to use chromatography to separate colors and find the hidden colors in everyday objects such as markers and coated candies. Participants will leave with a kit of science materials, ready-to-implement ideas, and a membership to NMAEYC.
Upcoming date in Gallup: Thursday, March 26, 2020, 5:30–7:30pm
This workshops is offered at no cost with the generous support of the Navajo Transitional Energy Company.
Once Upon a Time: STEM in Fairy Tales
How tall is the Giant from Jack and the Beanstalk? How much weight can Rapunzel’s hair hold? Discover the answers as you explore the STEM in your favorite fairy tales. Using hands-on activities ranging from measurement and ratios to structure and function, this workshop will uncover science and engineering principles that are almost too good to be true!
Upcoming date at Explora Wednesday, April 8, 2020, 9–11:30am
Making & Tinkering as a Way of Knowing
An engaging workshop, great for educators and staff at libraries, schools, and out-of-school time programs. Gain skills and experience in integrating engineering with art and design through the practice of making.
Upcoming date at Explora: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 9am–12pm
Making & Tinkering as a Way of Knowing
Friday, March 29 from 1-4 pm
An engaging workshop, great for educators and staff at libraries, schools, and out-of-school time programs. Gain skills and experience in integrating engineering with art and design through the practice of making in this free workshop.
Makey Makey® Workshop!
Learn to use and program your own Makey Makey® device in this fun and engaging 5-hour workshop for K-12 educators and after-school professionals who teach STEM subjects! Even beginners can quickly gain confidence to animate all kinds of objects and do amazing projects with this device that integrates everyday items with coding and circuit building. For details, call 505-224-8341.
Learn more about Makey Makey®
Book a workshop for up to 25 participants and a date and time of your choosing! Choose from two workshop pricing options:
- $400 – includes 5 Makey Makey® devices for your school (retail value $249.75)
- $600 – includes 10 Makey Makey® devices for your school (retail value$499.50)
Participants will need to bring their own laptops (must have USB port), their charging cable, and their own sack lunch.
Reservations Office: 505-224-8341
Para información en español, llame al 505-224-8323.
Explora is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, and all purchases at our store are always tax-free. Proceeds from your purchases at Ideas, the store at Explora, help fund our programs and exhibits.