& EXPLORA-tions Camp
In partnership with New Mexico Autism Society, Explora is offering sensory-friendly hours. Regular admission fees apply. For more information about these extra hours call 505-224-8300.
Upcoming dates for sensory-friendly hours:
Sunday, February 9, 2020 – 10am–noon
Sunday, April 12, 2020 – 10am–noon
Sunday, June 14, 2020 – 10am–noon
Sunday, August 9, 2020 – 10am–noon
Sunday, October 11, 2020 – 10am–noon
Sunday, December 13, 2020 – 10am–noon
During these sensory-friendly hours, individuals and families can enjoy a less sensory-stimulating visit.
- Sensory-Friendly Entrance: an entrance that bypasses the store and admissions desk.
- Sensory Spaces: quiet, low-light rooms upstairs and downstairs available to take a break from the exhibit floor.
- Museum Toolkits: resources co-developed with NM Autism Society, like social stories, fidgets, visual schedules, and more.
Tools are available for use at Explora, and are being upgraded in consultation with our partners and visitors, so you may see changes from time to time.
Explora offers several sensory-friendly tools. Items will be available on a table near the entrance during sensory-friendly hours and at the admissions desks during general admission hours.
View a KOB news article about Explora’s Sensory-friendly hours.
Register for sensory-friendly hours.
Select the event dates for which you would like to register. Please fill in all required sections of this registration form.
Innovative camps for children with autism spectrum disorder, providing a safe, supportive, and fun environment to explore science, technology, engineering, art, and math. Offered in partnership between Explora and the New Mexico Autism Society, with funding support from Autism Speaks Inc.
2020 Camp Dates
Friday, April 10, 2020 and May 26–29, 2020
Vernal Holiday: Friday, April 10, 2020, 9am-2pm
Camp for ages 4-7 and 8-12
Brick by Brick – What makes a structure strong? Come explore a variety of materials and designs to construct different types of structures.
Cost per child: $90 ($75 for members)
Information about Summer date will be available soon.
Summer Camp: May 26–29, 2020, 9am-2pm
Full-day camp for ages 4-7 and 8-12
Build It – Become builders and architects as you experiment with construction. Test a variety of shapes and materials for strength and stability, then apply your knowledge to build a tower, construct a bridge, or design a building.
Cost per 4-day camp per child: $225 ($200 for members)
We’ve had an update! Returning registrants may be asked to reset their password to register for camps. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thinking about enrolling for EXPLORA-tions Camp? Please consider the following.
- Age grouping refers to the child’s age at the time of camp.
- Camper is able to use bathrooms independently.
- Camper behaviors must be manageable within the scope of Explora programming (Explora staff is not crisis prevention trained).
- Camper must be exempt from any extreme health-care conditions or needs.
- Meet and Greet sessions are recommended to ease nerves and anxiety before camp day.