Engineering Investigators for grades 3-5
Rise to the engineering challenge!
Spring Semester 2019
January 12–May 4, 2019
Explora members $140
SESSIONS MEET EVERY OTHER WEEK.
Register now for Spring Semester 2019
- Online: Select a session day and time to register online
2. Mail: Download, print, and mail registration form:
3. Call Reservations at 505-224-8341.
Spring 2019 Class Schedule
January 12–May 4, 2019
Week 1: Crash Test
Saturday, January 12
Investigate the forces of motion and inertia in our first session of the semester. Put your findings to the test with egg crash dummies!
Week 2: Catch a Flight
Saturday, January 26
Take to the air and float above the gondolas we experiment with paper gliders. How can you design your glider to sustain a long flight?
Week 3: Paper Pulp Making
Saturday, February 9
Using recycled cardboard and paper products we will make our own paper! What can you add to your paper pulp to make it thicker, thinner, stronger, or shiny?
Week 4: Pigments of Your Imagination
Saturday, February 23
In this session we will make our own set of paints using natural pigments. What materials change the consistency and vibrancy of the paint? How do your paints look on your handmade paper?
Week 5: Fabric Printing
Saturday, March 9
Print images on fabric using light-sensitive chemicals to create blue-hued wonders! How can you best print your design? What fabrics will you try?
Week 6: E-Textiles
Saturday, March 23
How can you combine an electrical circuit into a wearable piece of clothing? Dressed to the nines, let’s light up the room!
Week 7: Robot Battle
Saturday, April 6
Customize your battle bot and prepare for the arena! Using an electric motor, how will you engineer your bot to move and defend itself? Whose bot will stand victorious?
Week 8: Music To Our Ears
Saturday, April 20
Using a Makey Makey® electronic invention tool, experiment with engineering new ways to play a song with an instrument of your own creation Let’s have a jam session using our newly crafted instruments to create a blend of wild sounds!
Week 9: Ultimate Ball Run
Saturday, May 4
Get the marble from point A to point B…in the craziest way possible! Think outside the box, and let’s see what we can create!
Explora’s Clubs & Programs
Explora educators develop activities with children’s developmental levels in mind. Your children will have the opportunity to learn from, and work with older and younger peers and make new friends.
- You can register online, by phone, or download and mail/fax the completed registration form.
- Please have the following available when you register: emergency contact name and phone numbers; name of alternate adults who can pick up the child; child’s medications, dosages, and physician’s name; child’s insurance information, as well as any allergy or special needs information for your child.
Call: 505-224-8341. Our reservations office is open Monday-Friday, 9am–5pm. Para español, llame al 505-224-8323, de lunes a viernes, 9am–5pm.
Mail: Explora Reservations 1701 Mountain Rd. NW Albuquerque, NM 87104
- If a cancelation is received at least 5 business days before the first class, a refund will be issued for the amount minus a 15% administration fee.
- Cancelations received fewer than 5 business days before the first class will not be refunded.
- Full fees will be refunded if Explora cancels a program.
Explora is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, and all purchases at our store are always tax-free. Proceeds from your purchases at Ideas, the store at Explora, help fund our programs and exhibits.