Engineering Investigators for grades 3-5
Chain Reaction Scientists has been replaced with Engineering Investigators.
Fall Semester 2017
August 26 – December 16
Register now for 2017 Fall Semester Programs.
Rise to the engineering challenge!
In each class, Engineering Investigators will use the engineering design process to solve a problem. Whether it’s building a suspension bridge or figuring out what gears are best to use on your bike, participants will have fun designing and building without even realizing they are honing their problem-solving skills and learning engineering and physics principles.
Explora members $140
SESSIONS MEET EVERY OTHER WEEK.
Three ways to register:
- Online: Select a session day and time to register online
2. Mail: Download, print, and mail registration form:
3. Call Reservations at 505-224-8341.
Week 1: Friction
Saturday, August 26
Is friction holding you back? We’ll examine how friction affects motion and harness it in a race to be the slowest.
Week 2: Heat
Saturday, September 9
Investigate how temperature affects different materials and build a sculpture that changes with heat.
Week 3: Projectile Motion
Saturday, September 23
Explore the physics of flying objects and then design and build your own launcher.
Week 4: Pneumatic and Hydraulic Machines
Saturday, October 7
Build a machine that transmits power using air or water.
Week 5: Scribble Machines
Saturday, October 21
Make a machine that makes a mark! Design and build a bot that draws a design while jiggling, bouncing, or scooting across a surface..
Week 6: Electricity – An Introduction to Makey Makeys
Saturday, November 4
Have you ever played music on banana piano keys or played Pac-Man with a paper controller? Learn how to do this and more with Makey Makeys and investigate electrical circuits in the process.
Week 7: Game Design
Saturday, November 18
Learn how to program and then design your own computer game using Scratch software.
Week 8: Makey Makey Game Controller
Saturday, December 2
Combine what you learned in the last two sessions to make a computer game you can control with something other than the keyboard.
Week 9: Rube Goldberg Machines
Saturday, December 16
We’ll build a contraption to do a simple task, but use as many unusual and complex steps as we can!
Class topics change each semester.
Reservations office: 505-224-8341
Para información en español, llame al 505-224-8323
It’s time for Explora’s 2017 Fall semester programs
Explora educators develop activities with children’s developmental levels in mind. Your children will have the opportunity to learn from, and work with older and younger peers and make new friends.
- You can register online, by phone, or download and mail/fax the completed registration form.
- Please have the following available when you register: emergency contact name and phone numbers; name of alternate adults who can pick up the child; child’s medications, dosages, and physician’s name; child’s insurance information, as well as any allergy or special needs information for your child.
505-224-8341. Our reservations office is open Monday-Friday, 9 am – 5 pm.
Para español, llame al 505-224-8323, de lunes a viernes, 9 am – 5 pm.
1701 Mountain Rd. NW
Albuquerque, NM 87104
- If a cancelation is received at least 5 business days before the first class, a refund will be issued for the amount minus a 15% administration fee.
- Cancelations received fewer than 5 business days before the first class will not be refunded.
- Full fees will be refunded if Explora cancels a program.
Explora is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, and all purchases at our store are always tax-free.
Proceeds from your purchases at Ideas, the store at Explora, help fund our programs and exhibits.