- Explora is not open to the public, per the Governor’s public health order.
- Phase One re-opening of Explora began with the return of Explora Summer Camps. Virtual camps began May 26, and in-person summer camps began on June 15. Both run through August 7. To register please visit: https://www.explora.us/en/educational-programs/camps/
- There is no date for Phase Two: re-opening for general admission, per the Governor’s public health order. Visit our social media channels for updates and continued STEAM programming: Facebook, Instagram, & Twitter.
- Explora no está abierto al público, según la orden de salud pública de la Gobernadora.
- La reapertura de la Fase Uno de Explora comenzó con el regreso de los Campamentos de Verano Explora. Los campamentos virtuales comenzaron el 26 de Mayo, y los campamentos de verano en persona comenzaron el 15 de Junio. Ambos se extenderán hasta el 7 de Agosto. Para registrarse, visite: https://www.explora.us/en/educational-programs/camps/
- En este momento, no hay fecha para la Fase Dos: reapertura para admisión general, según la orden de salud pública de la Gobernadora. Visite nuestros canales de redes sociales para actualizaciones y programación continua de STEAM: Facebook, Instagram y Twitter.
Youth Intern Program
Take your experience and skills to the next level.
Explora’s 2.5 year Youth Intern Program includes a 2-year paid internship.
You’ll build skills, relationships, and opportunities that open new pathways to the career you want.
Registration deadline extended to January 15, 2020
Download your application, or fill it out online.
High school sophomore
Qualifies for federal free/reduced lunch program (Federal Guideline)
- Available to participate in most training and scheduled shifts (camps, family science evenings, outreaches)
- Loves learning
- May have little to no work experience, but has a strong work ethic and motivation
- Likes working with children, or wants to work with children
The Youth Intern Program begins in February and continues through senior year in high school.
Why join the Youth Intern Program?
The Youth Intern Program is an exciting and deep job learning program, unlike any other internship! We train interns to teach Explora programs for kids, families, and other teens. Interns are matched with a mentor from Explora’s amazing staff. They also get to meet and learn from other professionals around the community. Interns build their resumes, practice interviewing, and gain job experience. And to top it all off, interns get paid to go behind the scenes and play at Explora!
The Intern Experience
Explora’s goal is to help interns build the skills they need for college and beyond. Through training, mentorship, and exposure to professionals, interns gain the confidence to start their path to college and career.
Interns spend the first 12 weeks in orientation and basic job training. Training is hands-on and includes experiences in science, technology, engineering, art, and math.
After the first semester, interns become paid, part-time employees of Explora. They continue to receive training to teach Explora’s educational programs. These programs include summer camps, the exhibit floor, outreach to NM communities, and family programs.
Here’s what this has looked like for interns in the past:
- Tutoring elementary students
- Meeting real scientists at the Grand Canyon, Lowell Observatory, and the NMSU Chili Pepper Institute
- Creating and posting content on Explora’s Instagram account
- Assisting in Farm Camps
- Learning how to pay for college, taught by Nusenda Credit Union professionals
Interns are matched with mentors from Explora’s staff. Mentors support the internship experience, help with college selection and applications, and guide exploration of potential careers.
To get a sense of the Youth Internship Program, here is an example of what an intern’s schedule may look like. During the first semester interns can expect:
- 4:30pm-6:30pm Tuesday group training
- 9am-1pm Saturday group training
Upon completion of the first semester, an intern’s schedule will change to include:
- 4:30-6:30 Thursday group training
- At least one 4-hour work shift per week