Science to Grow On™ for grades K-3
Grow your love for Science!
Spring Semester 2020
January 18–May 9, 2020
In Science to Grow On™, children make discoveries by questioning, experiencing, and investigating. Explora educators engage children and their adults in age-appropriate activities that incorporate science, art, and fun! Each session focuses on a different theme. Activities change each semester. Following the program, enjoy a snack.
Parent or adult caregiver participation is encouraged, but not required.
Explora members $140 per child per semester
Non-members $160 per child per semester
*Join & Save! Explora members get discounts on semester programs, camps , and admission all year!
Please select one of the following sessions:
- Saturday Mornings, 9:30–11am
- Saturday Afternoons, 1–2:30pm
SESSIONS MEET EVERY OTHER WEEK.
Register now for Spring Semester 2020
- Online: Select a session day and time to register online
We’ve updated our online registration! You may be asked to provide a new password when you login.
2. Mail: Download, print, and mail registration form:
3. Call Reservations at 505-224-8341.
Spring 2020 Class Schedule
January 18–May 9, 2020
Chemistry of Clay
Saturday, January 18
Use microscopes to examine and compare natural clay, polymer clay, and craft dough. Test each material’s strength and stretchiness and invent your own playful putty to take home.
Saturday, February 1
Explore the amazing properties of mirrors and light. Discover the images and patterns you get when angles and symmetry come into play. Build your own colorful kaleidoscopes to take home.
Bodies in Motion
Saturday, February 15
Set your body in motion physically and mentally as we take an imaginary trip through the solar system. Investigate the bodies in our sun’s family.
Saturday, February 29
Test different foods to find out which ones have carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Investigate the difference between baking soda and baking powder, create your own snack, and more.
Saturday, March 14
Become a scientific illustrator as you use grids, symmetry, and more to draw your favorite animals and plants. Investigate how science and art work together as you use magnifying glasses to examine insects and plants, and then use your powers of observation to inspire your illustrations.
Saturday, March 28
Experiment with the powers of magnets as you try to repel and attract different materials. Explore magnetic pendulums, use a magnet to race a car, and draw with iron filings.
Catch a Wave
Saturday, April 11
Catch a sound wave! Students experiment with vibrations to learn how sound is produced and how it travels. Make your own musical instrument to take home.
Under the Sun
Saturday, April 25
Test different sunscreens to find out which one is the best for blocking the effects of the sun. Test the effect of the sun on UV beads and create your own photographic image using sunlight.
What’s in a Fingerprint?
Saturday, May 9
Explore your fingerprints and look at your hair under microscopes to find out what makes you unique. Be a forensic scientist as you investigate “who did it” by comparing the evidence!
Explora’s Camps & Programs
Explora educators develop activities with children’s developmental levels in mind. Your children will have the opportunity to learn from, and work with older and younger peers and make new friends.
- You can register online, by phone, or download and mail/fax the completed registration form.
- Please have the following available when you register: emergency contact name and phone numbers; name of alternate adults who can pick up the child; child’s medications, dosages, and physician’s name; child’s insurance information, as well as any allergy or special needs information for your child.
Call: 505-224-8341. Our reservations office is open Monday-Friday, 9am–5pm. Para español, llame al 505-224-8323, de lunes a viernes, 9am–5pm.
Mail: Explora Reservations 1701 Mountain Rd. NW Albuquerque, NM 87104
- If a cancellation is received more than 5 business days before the first class, a refund will be issued for the amount minus a 15% administrative fee.
- Cancellations received 5 business days or fewer before the first class will not be refunded.
- Full fees will be refunded if Explora cancels a program.