Growing a Scientist™ for ages 2 ½ – 5 yrs
Fall in love with science, as you and your child explore together!
For preschoolers ages 2½–5, together with their adults, at Explora
Spring Semester 2020
January 15–May 9, 2020
In Growing a Scientist™, preschoolers ages 2½ to 5 and their parents or adult caregivers make discoveries about science by questioning, experiencing, and investigating. Early childhood educators engage children and their adults in science and engineering activities that incorporate art, literature, and fun! Each session focuses on a different theme. Activities change each semester. Following the program, enjoy a snack together.
Parent or adult caregiver participation is required.
Explora members $140 per child per semester
Non-members $160 per child per semester
*Join & Save! Explora members get discounts on semester programs, camps , and admission all year!
Please select one of the following sessions:
- Wednesday Mornings, 9:30–11am
- Thursday Mornings, 9:30–11am
- Friday Mornings, 9:30–11am
- Saturday Mornings, 9:30–11am
- Saturday Afternoons, 1–2:30pm
SESSIONS MEETS EVERY OTHER WEEK.
Register now for Spring Semester 2020
- Online: Select a session day and time to register online
We’ve updated our online registration! You may be asked to provide a new password when you login.
2. Mail: Download, print, and mail registration form:
3. Call Reservations at 505-224-8341.
Spring 2020 Class Schedule
January 15–May 9, 2020
Wed., Jan. 15/ Thurs., Jan. 16/ Fri., Jan. 17/ Sat., Jan. 18
Get your hands dirty as you explore a variety of slimy substances and make your own chemical concoctions.
Gears, Ramps, and Blocks
Wed., Jan. 29/ Thurs., Jan. 30/ Fri., Jan. 31/ Sat., Feb. 1
Experiment with gears, ramps of different heights, and blocks of different materials. Can you use your engineering skills to build a tall tower, use gears to move objects, or roll an object down a ramp?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall
Wed., Feb. 12/ Thurs., Feb. 13/ Fri., Feb. 14/ Sat., Feb. 15
Investigate mirrors, reflection, and symmetry as you compare your image in concave and convex mirrors, build kaleidoscopes, and make symmetrical art to take home.
Flowers Up Close
Wed., Feb. 26/ Thurs., Feb. 27/ Fri., Feb. 28/ Sat., Feb. 29
Be mesmerized by the beauty of flowers as you explore them! Dissect them to find the different parts, learn how bees pollinate flowers and help them grow, and use the flowers of artist Georgia O’Keeffe as inspiration for flower art.
Round and Round
Wed., March 11/ Thurs., March 12/ Fri., March 13/ Sat., March 14
Test different shapes to see which ones make the best wheels and investigate different surfaces for roadways as you explore wheels moving “round and round.” Build your own wheeled vehicle to take home.
Floaters and Sinkers
Wed., March 25/ Thurs., March 26/ Fri., March 27/ Sat., March 28
Roll up your sleeves and experiment with fruits, vegetables, and other solids to classify them as floaters or sinkers. We’ll modify materials to make them float or sink, and design a foil boat to carry a cargo of pennies. How many pennies will your boat hold before it sinks?
Wed., April 8/ Thurs., April 9/ Fri., April 10/ Sat., April 11
Test the strength of eggs, investigate and compare rolling eggs to rolling different-shaped objects, and create egg art.
All About Air
Wed., April 22/ Thurs., April 23/ Fri., April 24/ Sat., April 25
Catch some air and see how it takes up space. Experiment with the power of compressed air and investigate how moving air interacts with objects.
Caterpillar to Butterfly
Wed., May 6/ Thurs., May 7/ Fri., May 8/ Sat., May 9
We’ll find out how The Very Hungry Caterpillar becomes a butterfly and we’ll use paper chromatography to turn our own caterpillars into butterflies.
Explora’s Camps & Programs
Explora educators develop activities with children’s developmental levels in mind. Your children will have the opportunity to learn from, and work with older and younger peers and make new friends.
- You can register online, by phone, or download and mail/fax the completed registration form.
- Please have the following available when you register: emergency contact name and phone numbers; name of alternate adults who can pick up the child; child’s medications, dosages, and physician’s name; child’s insurance information, as well as any allergy or special needs information for your child.
Call: 505-224-8341. Our reservations office is open Monday-Friday, 9am–5pm. Para español, llame al 505-224-8323, de lunes a viernes, 9am–5pm.
Mail: Explora Reservations 1701 Mountain Rd. NW Albuquerque, NM 87104
- If a cancellation is received more than 5 business days before the first class, a refund will be issued for the amount minus a 15% administrative fee.
- Cancellations received 5 business days or fewer before the first class will not be refunded.
- Full fees will be refunded if Explora cancels a program.