Science to Grow On™ for grades K-3
Grow your love for Science!
Fall Semester 2019
August 31–December 21, 2019
In Science to Grow On™, children make discoveries by questioning, experiencing, and investigating. Explora educators engage children and their adults in age-appropriate activities that incorporate science, art, and fun! Each session focuses on a different theme. Activities change each semester. Following the program, enjoy a snack.
Parent or adult caregiver participation is encouraged, but not required.
Explora members $140 per child per semester
Non-members $160 per child per semester
*Join & Save! Explora members get discounts on semester programs, camps , and admission all year!
Please select one of the following sessions:
- Saturday Mornings, 9:30–11am
- Saturday Afternoons, 1–2:30pm
SESSIONS MEET EVERY OTHER WEEK.
Register now for Fall Semester 2019
- Online: Select a session day and time to register online
2. Mail: Download, print, and mail registration form:
3. Call Reservations at 505-224-8341.
Fall 2019 Class Schedule
August 31–December 21, 2019
Chemistry of Art
Saturday, August 31
Do artists need to understand chemistry? Explore the connection between art and science while creating your very own art materials. Make an original work of art to take home.
In Balance: Mobiles
Saturday, September 14
Explore balance and counterbalance. Experiment with weight, center of gravity, and asymmetry using a variety of materials as you design your own unique mobile.
Roller Coaster Bonanza
Saturday, September 28
Roll over hills and through valleys and tunnels as you explore how balls roll on tracks. Put your skills to use as you design your own roller coaster!
Science of our Surroundings
Saturday, October 12
Explore Earth’s system of natural resources. We’ll examine and filter water and create our own small ecosystem to take home.
Saturday, October 26
This will spark your curiosity! In this electrifying exploration we will explore wires, bulbs, and switches and use them to build custom circuits. We will learn about which materials conduct electricity and do many more hair-raising experiments.
Color My World
Saturday, November 9
How does mixing colored light compare with mixing different colors of paint together? Explore color mixing as you test a variety of materials and mediums to find out what happens when we mix different colors together. Create new colors, dissect a marker to find the hidden colors inside, and more.
Saturday, November 23
Recycle plastics found around the house to make new things! We will test the strength of plastic bags, melt beads and other plastics to make shrinky dinks and delve into other creative projects.
Saturday, December 7
How are shadows made? Why do we see ourselves on reflective surfaces? We will use light boxes to explore the basic properties of white and colored light and investigate the properties of lenses.
Forced Into Action
Saturday, December 21
Get on the move with Sir Isaac Newton and discover the laws that govern motion. Eggs may break and balls will fly as we experiment with simple tools to learn about inertia and to determine the forces, velocity, and acceleration of objects in motion.
Explora’s Camps & Programs
Explora educators develop activities with children’s developmental levels in mind. Your children will have the opportunity to learn from, and work with older and younger peers and make new friends.
- You can register online, by phone, or download and mail/fax the completed registration form.
- Please have the following available when you register: emergency contact name and phone numbers; name of alternate adults who can pick up the child; child’s medications, dosages, and physician’s name; child’s insurance information, as well as any allergy or special needs information for your child.
Call: 505-224-8341. Our reservations office is open Monday-Friday, 9am–5pm. Para español, llame al 505-224-8323, de lunes a viernes, 9am–5pm.
Mail: Explora Reservations 1701 Mountain Rd. NW Albuquerque, NM 87104
- If a cancellation is received at least 5 business days before the first class, a refund will be issued for the amount minus a 15% administration fee.
- Cancellations received fewer than 5 business days before the first class will not be refunded.
- Full fees will be refunded if Explora cancels a program.
Explora is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, and all purchases at our store are always tax-free. Proceeds from your purchases at Ideas, the store at Explora, help fund our programs and exhibits.