Growing a Scientist™ for ages 2 ½ – 5 yrs
Fall in love with science, as you and your child explore together!
For preschoolers ages 2½–5, together with their adults, at Explora
Fall Semester 2019
August 28–December 21, 2019
In Growing a Scientist™, preschoolers ages 2½ to 5 and their parents or adult caregivers make discoveries about science by questioning, experiencing, and investigating. Early childhood educators engage children and their adults in science and engineering activities that incorporate art, literature, and fun! Each session focuses on a different theme. Activities change each semester. Following the program, enjoy a snack together.
Explora members $140 per child per semester
Non-members $160 per child per semester
*Join & Save! Explora members get discounts on semester programs, camps , and admission all year!
Please select one of the following sessions:
- Wednesday Mornings, 9:30–11am
- Thursday Mornings, 9:30–11am
- Friday Mornings, 9:30–11am
- Saturday Mornings, 9:30–11am
- Saturday Afternoons, 1–2:30pm
SESSIONS MEETS EVERY OTHER WEEK.
Register now for Fall Semester 2019
- Online: Select a session day and time to register online
2. Mail: Download, print, and mail registration form:
3. Call Reservations at 505-224-8341.
Fall 2019 Class Schedule
August 28–December 21, 2019
Wed., Aug. 28/ Thurs., Aug. 29/ Fri., Aug. 30/ Sat., Aug. 31
Experiment with bubble blowing in a variety of ways, testing bubble wands of different materials and shapes. Make your own bubble blower and use it to make colorful bubble caterpillars.
Acids and Bases
Wed., Sept. 11/ Thurs., Sept. 12/ Fri., Sept. 13/ Sat., Sept. 14
Explore natural acid/base indicators such as red cabbage, black tea, grape juice, and turmeric. We’ll watch their colors change as we mix these indicators with acids and bases. We’ll also use them to draw color-changing pictures.
A Shovelful of Dirt
Wed., Sept. 25/ Thurs., Sept. 26/ Fri., Sept. 27/ Sat., Sept. 28
Get your hands dirty as you make discoveries about dirt and soil. Use magnifying loupes as you look for living material in the dirt, and sculpt your own creation out of clay.
Animal Hide and Seek
Wed., Oct. 9/ Thurs., Oct. 10/ Fri., Oct. 11/ Sat., Oct. 12
Get up close and personal with some interesting insects. Observe camouflage as a defense, experiment with camouflaging yourself, and decorate rabbits to blend into different environments.
Wed., Oct. 23/ Thurs., Oct. 24/ Fri., Oct. 25/ Sat., Oct. 26
Test your strength with levers and pulleys. Experiment with ways simple machines make work easier. Create your own simple machine to take home.
Wed., Nov. 6/ Thurs., Nov. 7/ Fri., Nov. 8/ Sat., Nov. 9
Discover measuring concepts such as more and less, weight and height. We’ll practice using scales, measuring cups, and droppers, and we will use these tools to create our own snack.
Wed., Nov. 20/ Thurs., Nov. 21/ Fri., Nov. 22/ Sat., Nov. 23
Examine a variety of rocks and crystals. Use magnifying loupes to make up-close observations. Experiment to find if any of the rocks roll, fizz or float. Then make your own rock prints.
What’s That Sound?
Wed., Dec. 4/ Thurs., Dec. 5/ Fri., Dec. 6/ Sat., Dec. 7
We’ll observe how sound waves travel through water or air, producing vibrations. Experience cup phones and build your own kazoo and quacker.
Switch On, Switch Off
Wed., Dec. 18/ Thurs., Dec. 19/ Fri., Dec. 20/ Sat., Dec. 21
Turn things on and off as you explore open and closed circuits. Investigate a variety of switches, read The Very Lonely Firefly, then create your own firefly that lights up the night, and much more!
Explora’s Camps & Programs
Explora educators develop activities with children’s developmental levels in mind. Your children will have the opportunity to learn from, and work with older and younger peers and make new friends.
- You can register online, by phone, or download and mail/fax the completed registration form.
- Please have the following available when you register: emergency contact name and phone numbers; name of alternate adults who can pick up the child; child’s medications, dosages, and physician’s name; child’s insurance information, as well as any allergy or special needs information for your child.
Call: 505-224-8341. Our reservations office is open Monday-Friday, 9am–5pm. Para español, llame al 505-224-8323, de lunes a viernes, 9am–5pm.
Mail: Explora Reservations 1701 Mountain Rd. NW Albuquerque, NM 87104
- If a cancellation is received at least 5 business days before the first class, a refund will be issued for the amount minus a 15% administration fee.
- Cancellations received fewer than 5 business days before the first class will not be refunded.
- Full fees will be refunded if Explora cancels a program.
Explora is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, and all purchases at our store are always tax-free. Proceeds from your purchases at Ideas, the store at Explora, help fund our programs and exhibits.