Engineering Investigators for grades 3-5
Design, Engineer, Build!
Fall Semester 2019
August 31–December 21, 2019
Non-members $160 per child per semester
- Saturday morning, 9:30–11am
SESSIONS MEET EVERY OTHER WEEK.
Register now for Fall Semester 2019
- Online: Select a session day to register online
2. Mail: Download, print, and mail registration form:
3. Call Reservations at 505-224-8341.
Fall 2019 Class Schedule
August 31–December 21, 2019
Week 1: Sculptural Drawing
Saturday, August 31
What if your doodles and drawings could stand on their own? Use 3D pens to sketch out your work, stitching it together until it becomes a three-dimensional work! What other materials could you include into your creation so it can roll or move?
Week 2: Biomimicry Building
Saturday, September 14
Explore the surprising and beautiful architecture in nature. How can we learn from these innovative forms in nature, and use them as inspiration for our own making?
Week 3: Super Structures
Saturday, September 28
Work large scale and build in all directions to fill our classroom with interesting and strong structural forms and ceiling-scrapers! We will put ordinary objects to the test to see how tall or strong they can be.
Week 4: Water on the Move
Saturday, October 12
Where does the water from the tap come from? Start by building a model aquifer and experiment with it before and after a contaminate enters the system. How can you clean up and purify this water before the well runs dry?
Week 5: Painted Circuits
Saturday, October 26
With a brush in hand, design a circuit by painting the conductive path! How can you get a light to turn on using your painted circuit? What designs and power sources work best for your circuit when you paint it dark grey?
Week 6: Animate It
Saturday, November 9
Your drawings will take on a life of their own this week when we delve into traditional animation techniques and styles. Spin the zoetropes and phenakistoscopes and flip the books as you explore persistence of vision.
Week 7: Creative Programming Part 1
Saturday, November 23
Take animation to the next level with coding and a micro:bit! Using this small computer clad in 25 LEDs, what patterns and animations can you program?
Week 8: Creative Programming Part 2
Saturday, December 7
Revist the micro:bit and experiment with its sensors! How can you program the micro:bit to interact and react to various inputs?
Week 9: Paper Chain Reaction
Saturday, December 21
Cut, shape, fold, rip and crinkle all kinds of paper to link together a chain reaction for a marble. How can you best guide and direct your marble as it swerves and rolls throughout its path?
Explora’s Camps & Programs
Explora educators develop activities with children’s developmental levels in mind. Your children will have the opportunity to learn from, and work with older and younger peers and make new friends.
- You can register online, by phone, or download and mail/fax the completed registration form.
- Please have the following available when you register: emergency contact name and phone numbers; name of alternate adults who can pick up the child; child’s medications, dosages, and physician’s name; child’s insurance information, as well as any allergy or special needs information for your child.
Call: 505-224-8341. Our reservations office is open Monday-Friday, 9am–5pm. Para español, llame al 505-224-8323, de lunes a viernes, 9am–5pm.
Mail: Explora Reservations 1701 Mountain Rd. NW Albuquerque, NM 87104
- If a cancellation is received at least 5 business days before the first class, a refund will be issued for the amount minus a 15% administration fee.
- Cancellations received fewer than 5 business days before the first class will not be refunded.
- Full fees will be refunded if Explora cancels a program.
Explora is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, and all purchases at our store are always tax-free. Proceeds from your purchases at Ideas, the store at Explora, help fund our programs and exhibits.