Early Childhood Teacher & Provider Workshops at Explora
Motivate and excite student learning!
Get ideas on how to integrate science, math, art, and literacy into your classroom. Facilitated by State-approved Early Childhood Trainers, these workshops are designed to inspire confidence in exploring science topics in the early childhood classroom and provide participants with a Continuing Education Certificate for 2 competency hours.
Competency 1: Child Growth, Development & Learning
Competency 5: Learning Environment & Curriculum Implementation
(You may choose one, or split the time among competencies.)
Choose your Workshop
Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 5-7pm
Easy, Breezy: A Gust of Air
Have you ever marveled at the air around you? Can you make a ball levitate? Can you make an egg jump from one container to the next? You'll experiment with the power of air as you discover how airplanes fly and birds soar. You'll also learn techniques for making and testing hot air balloons in the classroom! Students will also investigate, compare and contrast seasonal and weather changes in the immediate environment (ELG 16.1)
Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 1-3pm
Get it to Balance
What can you get to balance? Explore balance, movement, and design by constructing sculptures in the style of Alexander Calder's mobiles. We will compare and contrast symmetry and asymmetry in design and weight, and explore cause and effect by trying to balance weights and physically work out visual choices. Students will also demonstrate an emerging knowledge of measurement (ELG 11.3) and sort, classify, and group materials by one or more characteristics (ELG 12.1)
Tuesday, April 11, 2016 - 5-7pm
The World of Plants
Investigate plants from the roots up. How do plants eat? Investigate a variety of seeds, dissect one and find out what makes it grow. How do some plants reproduce without seeds? Come find out as we investigate the world of plants. Students explore, observe, and describe a variety of living things and distinguishes them from nonliving things. (ELG 15.1)
- $20 per person, per workshop
- Groups (up to 20 people) at Explora or your site: $320
Register online or call the Reservations office: 505-224-8341
Para información en español, llame al 505-224-8323
In addition, these workshops specifically address the following NM Early Learning Guidelines:
- 6.1 Encourage child to converse effectively in his or her home language.... For a variety of purposes relating to real experiences and different audiences.
- 6.3 Child engages in conversations that develop a thought or idea.
- 12.2 Child collects, organizes and begins to represent in some way information about self, surroundings and meaningful experiences.
- 14.1 through 4 The child uses the scientific method to investigate the physical and natural worlds and to hypothesize and make predictions.
- 20 The child plays and works cooperatively with other children and adults.
- 23.2. Child shows interest in exploring the environment, learning new things and trying new experiences.
- 27 Child displays persistent and pursues challenges.
- 28 Child uses problemsolving skills.